The ACLU of Massachusetts is pleased to announce the election of nine new Board and Foundation directors, representing leadership from top law firms, academia, philanthropy, and more.
“We are at a crisis moment in this country – from the Supreme Court taking away basic rights to extremists pushing coordinated bills that restrict access to abortion, prevent transgender youth from receiving gender-affirming health care, and suppress our right to vote,” said Carol Rose, executive director of the ACLU of Massachusetts. “The ACLU has the nationwide and multi-issue infrastructure to lead in this urgent fight back—in the legislature, in the courts, and in the streets. Our new Massachusetts board directors will bring fresh energy, expertise, and grit to our organization’s work at this critical moment for civil rights and civil liberties.”
New ACLU of Massachusetts and ACLU Foundation of Massachusetts directors include:
- María Belén Power, Associate Executive Director, GreenRoots Chelsea;
- Howard M. Cooper, Founding Partner, Todd & Weld;
- Thomas Hilbink, Manager, Adaptation Consulting; formerly with Open Society Foundations;
- Stephanie Marzouk, immigration attorney;
- Martin F. Murphy, partner, Co-Chair, Litigation Department, Foley Hoag;
- Madeleine K. Rodriguez, partner, Foley Hoag;
- Sandra Susan Smith, Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Professor of Criminal Justice and Faculty Director of the Program in Criminal Justice Policy and Management, Harvard Kennedy School; Carol K. Pforzheimer Professor, Radcliffe Institute;
- Charlotte Streat, Vice President and Diversity Equity & Inclusion Business Advisor, Liberty Mutual;
- and Susan E. Whitehead, Life Member of the MIT Corporation, Founding Lifetime Trustee of the Whitehead Institute, and civic activist.
In addition to the new class of leaders, WilmerHale partner Kevin Prussia has been elected chair of the ACLU Foundation of Massachusetts. Kirsten Mayer is president of the Board of Directors. David Bowman is vice president.
For a full list of ACLU of Massachusetts Board and Foundation directors, go to: https://www.aclum.org/en/Board
For more information about the ACLU of Massachusetts, go to: http://www.aclum.org