The ACLU of Massachusetts (“ACLUM”) seeks a Social Media Associate to support its communications and marketing efforts to advance the organization’s advocacy work. The focus of this role is to develop strategy for, create and manage ACLUM’s daily social media content and publishing calendar; explore innovative ways to drive audience engagement and growth across social platforms; and monitor the performance of social media efforts. This position reports to the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer and works closely with other ACLUM departments to achieve programmatic objectives.
The ideal candidate brings strong technical expertise operating on major social media platforms, a passion for online advocacy and communications, and proven ability to effectively coordinate content across multiple platforms and deadlines. Flexibility to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted is an important requirement for this role.
Social Media Strategy and Execution
- Develop long-term vision, strategies, goals, and tactics for ACLUM’s social media presence and audience growth.
- Position ACLUM as a thought leader on core social media channels.
- Craft and implement creative, multi-faceted social strategies for advocacy, public education, and live events, as well as media, development, and marketing campaigns.
- Identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of ACLUM’s advocacy, programmatic, and legislative work, and generate email list and social media audience growth.
- Cultivate relationships with social media influencers to amplify engagement with ACLUM social media content.
- Post to ACLUM social accounts daily as directed to advance audience expansion goals.
- Monitor and track success of social media and online engagement initiatives in achieving departmental goals.
- Monitor trends and emerging practices in social media; evaluate and recommend new platforms for ACLUM’s presence.
Content Development and Communications Support
- Write, edit, design and post high-quality social content to core platforms on a daily basis, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Work with communications, marketing, development and advocacy staff to craft compelling ACLUM messaging and written content in alignment with short- and long-term advocacy, campaign, fundraising and audience engagement goals.
- Work with the Digital Communications Manager and graphic designer to develop and customize multimedia, photographic, and graphical content for social posting.
- Maintain a publishing calendar to support and facilitate achievement of general communications and marketing goals.
- Develop and provide off-hour/ non-peak rotation content across social platforms.
- Work on-call to respond to breaking news and urgent communication needs.
- Provide live, on location, social media coverage and content for advocacy, development events, rallies, and other functions.
- Special projects and other tasks as assigned by the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum of two years’ professional experience managing social media platforms in advocacy, political, communications, marketing, development or related fields required.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Technical expertise operating and managing major social media accounts, including on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube platforms required. Strong experience operating on TikTok, as well as trending or emerging social platforms preferred.
- Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Proficiency with Adobe design software and basic graphic design skills a plus.
- A passion for social media, and online advocacy and communications.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively coordinate content across multiple platforms and deadlines.
- Creative, highly organized, with the ability to prioritize, and work well against tight delivery timeframes.
- A track record of working well with colleagues and stakeholders at all organizational levels.
- Flexibility to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted.
- Strong belief in the ACLU’s work and mission, and in preserving and defending the civil rights and individual liberties guaranteed by the United States and Massachusetts Constitution and laws.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic background.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timeliness in delivery of daily social media content
- Effectiveness of designed content in engaging and growing desired audiences
- Proactivity in monitoring social media trends and emerging practices, and identifying ways to amplify ACLUM’s programming and messaging
- Effectiveness in coordination and communication with the department, other ACLUM colleagues, and external partners
- Frequent written and verbal communication
- Frequent and extended periods of standing and sitting
- Visual acuity for extensive reading, preparing and analyzing information, and viewing a computer terminal
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401(k) plan, medical and dental insurance, and paid vacation and holidays proportionate to work schedule.
About the ACLU of Massachusetts
The ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM) was founded in 1920 and is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan membership organization that works to preserve and expand the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Through strategies of litigation, advocacy, public education, and grassroots activism, we strengthen and expand public understanding of racial justice, juvenile justice, LGBTQ rights (including equal marriage), women's rights, criminal justice issues, equal opportunity, free speech and assembly, privacy rights, religious liberty, students' rights, voting rights, and reproductive rights. ACLUM staff are unionized and this position is within the bargaining unit.
ACLUM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and formerly incarcerated people to apply.
This position is based in Boston, MA and eligible for a hybrid work schedule, being in-person an average of three days per week, with the ability to be in the office on any given day as needed and assigned. ACLUM has a Covid-19 vaccine mandate, and candidates receiving a job offer will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Exemptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law. Applicants should be aware that fully remote work will not be deemed a reasonable accommodation.
TO APPLY: Applicants for this position should submit a resume, list of references, and a cover letter that best expresses their interest and unique qualifications, via email to email@example.com. Type the position title in the subject header. No phone calls or faxes please.