Applicants for this position should submit a resume, list of references, and a cover letter that best expresses their interest and unique qualifications, via email to [email protected]. Type the position title in the subject header. No phone calls or faxes please.
The ACLU of Massachusetts (“ACLUM”) seeks a Manager, HR Operations to help advance the organization’s people objectives, and provide crucial support to staff throughout the employee lifecycle. The focus of this role is to execute, administer, and support Human Resource functions and programs, including but not limited to HR policy development and compliance, recruiting, employee relations, training and development, benefits administration, leave management, and payroll support. This position will report to and work closely with ACLUM’s Chief Operations and Talent Officer.
- HR Policy & Compliance
- Maintain compliance with federal and state employment laws and regulations in the execution of HR processes and practices. Complete and submit reports to related agencies, as required.
- Schedule and track completions of mandatory trainings, including safety, anti-harassment and other HR-related topics.
- Ensure HR policy documents, the employee handbook, personnel files, and other employment-related records are current and in adherence with document retention requirements.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of HR files and records, including those in hard copy and electronic format.
- Keep abreast of trends, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law. Recommend policy updates and process improvements to align with industry best practices and enable proactive HR management.
- Support recruitment efforts and the hiring process for regular and temporary staff, fellows, and interns.
- Work with hiring managers to draft/update position descriptions and job announcements prior to posting.
- Post job openings on relevant sites to attract a highly qualified and diverse pool of applicants. Support hiring managers in gathering and screening applications.
- Participate on interview panels, and provide guidance on related protocols.
- Employee On-boarding and Off-boarding
- Conduct operations-related orientation for new employees, in partnership with the IT Manager, Office Administrator, and Finance.
- Manage logistics for employee onboarding and departures, including drafting offer and exit letters, distributing and processing new hire paperwork, scheduling exit interviews, and ensuring completion of setup and close-out activities owned by IT, Office Administration, Finance and supervisors.
- Employee Relations
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and sensitive matters to the Chief Operations and Talent Officer.
- Refer employees to ACLUM’s employee assistance program (EAP) service provider for third-party support, as needed.
- Process requests for employment verification for current and prior employees.
- Coordinate HR-sponsored training and development activities for all staff. Facilitate sessions on select topics, schedule third-party providers to deliver specialized trainings, and gather/prepare materials for event participants.
- Support other HR-led employee engagement initiatives, as applicable.
- HR Benefits Administration
- Manage daily and open-enrollment processing of health and wellness benefits for staff, under ACLUM’s medical and dental insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts. Liaise with National ACLU representatives, employee benefit brokers, and other providers to administer plan enrollments, changes and terminations. Set up and update plan data in the HR information system, as needed.
- Develop and deliver periodic communications to staff about HR benefit topics, including benefit enrollment procedures, paid time off allowances and accruals, and FSA reimbursement deadlines.
- Field ad hoc questions from staff about health and wellness benefit options and eligibility, and general payroll implications.
- Process requests for employee leaves of absence and handle logistics for reasonable accommodations, as approved. Notify employees about return-to-work protocols, and assist them in the process, as needed.
- Review employee benefit and HR invoices for accuracy, assign appropriate expense allocations, and approve them for payment.
- Payroll Support
- Verify employee information from ACLUM’s HRIS and benefit provider sites for bi-weekly payroll processing, including utilization of paid time off and changes that may impact payroll deductions (e.g., qualifying life events, 401k contribution changes).
- Ensure payroll-related data in the HRIS is up to date, including employee compensation, benefit plan premiums, 401k plan contribution rates, and paid time off balances. Communicate and coordinate with Finance to ensure data feeds are accurate between the HRIS and Payroll system modules.
- Coordinate with Finance on matters related to tax withholdings, as needed.
Special projects and other tasks as assigned by the Chief Operations and Talent Officer.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Education or related field required.
- Minimum of five years of human resource management experience.
- Familiarity with state and federal employment laws and regulations (e.g., FSLA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, HIPPA)
- Experience working in a unionized environment strongly preferred.
- SHRM-CP certification a plus.
- Must be able to work with confidential information, and consistently exercise good judgement in dealing with a variety of sensitive situations and issues.
- Strong customer service orientation with excellent systems thinking, problem solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency with or ability to quickly learn the organization’s human resource information system (HRIS) and talent management systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to effectively prioritize work tasks, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and meet regular deadlines.
- Strong belief in the ACLU’s mission and work, and in preserving and defending the civil rights and individual liberties guaranteed by the United States and Massachusetts Constitutions and laws.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Key Performance Indicators
- Delivery of prompt and effective responses to requests for information and support from employees and managers.
- Ensuring regular compliance with employment-related regulations, including meeting reporting requirements set by governing agencies.
- Delivery of daily work, as well as special assignments, in a timely manner and with consistently high quality.
- Capable contribution to the development of HR policies and processes to enable proactive HR management.
- Frequent written and verbal communication
- Frequent and extended periods of standing and sitting
- Visual acuity for extensive reading, preparing and analyzing information, and viewing a computer terminal
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401(k), medical and dental insurance, and paid vacation and holidays proportionate to work schedule.
About the ACLU of Massachusetts
The ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM) was founded in 1920 and is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan membership organization that works to preserve and expand the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Through strategies of litigation, advocacy, public education, and grassroots activism, we strengthen and expand public understanding of racial justice, juvenile justice, LGBTQ rights (including equal marriage), women's rights, criminal justice issues, equal opportunity, free speech and assembly, privacy rights, religious liberty, students' rights, voting rights, and reproductive rights.
ACLUM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and formerly incarcerated people to apply.