The ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM) seeks a full-time Communications and Event Coordinator to aid the organization in advancing its advocacy work. The focus of this role is to provide general administrative support, assist in production and publishing of communications and marketing content, handle logistics and help ensure smooth execution of fundraising events, and coordinate with external vendors. This position reports to and works closely with both the Chief Development Officer and Chief Communications & Marketing Officer; and partners with other ACLUM teams to achieve communications and development project objectives.
The ideal candidate enjoys small project administration, logistics, and event coordination; has proven experience managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously; and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Flexibility to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted is an important requirement for this role.
- Provide general administrative, clerical, and logistical support to the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer and Chief Development Officer.
- Provide scheduling assistance for regular department meetings, interdepartmental meetings, and project-specific meetings; coordinate with other ACLUM support staff and external parties to make arrangements, as required.
- Assist in developing agendas and take minutes for regular and ad hoc meetings; capture and track action items, as applicable.
- Coordinate with Communications & Marketing staff to manage project and publication content calendars.
- Interface with Finance staff to ensure all department bills, invoices and contracts are paid accurately and on time.
- Assist the Communications & Marketing and Development teams in content production and publishing of various materials, including the ACLUM Annual Report, the annual board elections postcard, and campaign-specific pieces and collateral.
- Coordinate with production vendors and manage project logistics to ensure delivery of communications and event materials in accordance with quality and time specifications.
- Contribute to the execution of ACLUM donor engagement and development events, including donor salons, town halls, insider briefings, and the annual fundraising dinner.
- Coordinate assigned event activities to facilitate execution and keep the team on schedule. Activities include, but are not limited to, identifying and working with venues and external vendors, mailing invitations and other information, creating web forms to solicit and track RSVPs, and manage event-day logistics.
- Act as an administrative liaison between communications / marketing and development departments, and coordinate joint project logistics.
- Execute other projects and tasks as assigned by the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer and Chief Development Officer.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum of three years’ professional administrative experience in communications, marketing, development or related fields.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Skilled in and enthusiastic about small project administration, logistics, and event coordination.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Excel required.
- Keen attention to detail and high-quality output.
- Excellent interpersonal, as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to multitask and coordinate across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Creative, highly organized, with the ability to prioritize, work well under pressure, and meet daily deadlines.
- A track record of working well with colleagues and stakeholders at all organizational levels.
- Ability to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted.
- Strong belief in the ACLU’s mission and work to defend and strengthen civil rights and civil liberties.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic background.
Key Performance Indicators
- Reliability and responsiveness in providing administrative support to the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer and Chief Development Officer.
- Timeliness and accuracy in scheduling, preparation and production of materials, and completion of project-specific tasks.
- Effectiveness in handling of event logistics.
- Effectiveness in coordination and communication with the Communications & Marketing and Development departments, other ACLUM colleagues, external partners, and vendors.
- Frequent written and verbal communication
- Frequent and extended periods of standing and sitting
- Visual acuity for extensive reading, preparing and analyzing information, and viewing a computer terminal
- Ability to drive independently to locations across Massachusetts
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401(k), medical and dental insurance, and paid vacation and holidays proportionate to work schedule.
About the ACLU of Massachusetts
The ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM) was founded in 1920 and is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan membership organization that works to preserve and expand the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Through strategies of litigation, advocacy, public education, and grassroots activism, we strengthen and expand public understanding of racial justice, juvenile justice, LGBTQ rights (including equal marriage), women's rights, criminal justice issues, equal opportunity, free speech and assembly, privacy rights, religious liberty, students' rights, voting rights, and reproductive rights. ACLUM staff are unionized, and this position is within the bargaining unit.
ACLUM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and formerly incarcerated people to apply.
This position is based in Boston, MA and eligible for a hybrid work schedule, being in-person an average of three days per week, with the ability to be in the office on any given day as needed and assigned. ACLUM has a Covid-19 vaccine mandate, and candidates receiving a job offer will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Exemptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law. Applicants should be aware that fully remote work will not be deemed a reasonable accommodation.
TO APPLY: Applicants for this position should submit a resume, list of references, and a cover letter that best expresses their interest and unique qualifications, via email to email@example.com. Type the position title in the subject header. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls or faxes please.